Learn about broadcasters liability insurance for radio and television broadcasters. This coverage protects your business if you are accused of slander or defamation in a broadcast, someone is injured on your premises, your equipment is damaged a fire or storm and more.
Broadcasters Liability Insurance
As a broadcaster, there are a few different types of coverage that you should consider, but broadcasters liability insurance is definitely at the top of the list.
You have a lot of responsibilities as a radio or television broadcaster, and making sure that you have the right protection is extremely important. Broadcasters liability insurance is one of the most important types of insurance you can carry, but it is not the only type of coverage that you should consider.
In this article, we will be discussing broadcaster liability insurance in detail as well as some other types of policies that you should consider. One of the largest risks broadcasters face is errors which may occur during the production, use, or broadcast of programs and advertising.
Liability Insurance For Radio & Television Broadcasters
Broadcasters liability is a type of insurance that covers you for things that you are generally liable for. When it comes to broadcasting, the liability insurance for this type of company is not that different from other types of businesses. However, the things that it covers are very unique to broadcasting.
Broadcasters liability provides financial protection for radio and television businesses against claims of wrongdoing. Broadcasters liability protects you against things like errors or omissions that affect other people, especially those particular errors and omissions that affect those the work in the broadcasting industry. The expenses that you can incur for this type of lawsuit may far exceed what you have to spend - which is why broadcasters liability insurance is so important.
To understand broadcasters liability insurance better, you have to be aware of what it covers. As a TV or radio broadcaster, you know that you are responsible for a great many things:
If you are a radio station, then you're responsible for making sure that you report the correct number of songs played in order to pay the right royalties. You are also responsible for making sure that you report the news accurately, give the proper traffic information so that people can complete their work commute and ensuring that the whether you give is as accurate as possible. While these seem like minor parts of running a radio station, they are pretty large when it comes to liability.
As a television station, you are responsible for making sure that the right shows are aired. When you do not run the right shows, you risk major liability from the network that you are affiliated with. In addition, you are required to report the news each evening. Not reporting the proper news and using good journalistic practices can result in major litigation. A television network is even more difficult to run than a radio station.
Understanding Broadcasters Insurance
To understand broadcasters liability insurance better, you have to break it down - liability insurance for television and radio stations includes things like:
- Invasion of privacy
- Defamation of character
- Product disparagement (when it comes to running commercials)
- Causing emotional distress to viewers
- and more
Broadcasters have to be more aware than other businesses of causing harm to their viewers or listeners. In addition, tv and radio broadcasters face a number of government regulations that tell them how they are able to run their broadcast and this can result in litigation as well. Just visit The Broadcast Self-Inspection Checklists on the FCC website to get an idea of how regulated this business really is.
Other Types Of Commercial Insurance
There are other types of insurance that you should be aware of when it comes to ensuring the your company is protecting itself is much as possible. Let's take a look at a few of the different types of insurance alternatives that you can choose as a radio or television station:
- Property Insurance: One of the most important types of insurance besides general liability is property insurance. Property insurance protects your company in the case of equipment damage from a fire and some other natural disasters. Since you have towers and expensive equipment the runs your radio or television station, this type of insurance is extremely important.
- Umbrella Coverage: Umbrella coverage is additional coverage that you get in order to protect yourself above and beyond the limits of what your other liability policies provide.
- Management Practices Coverage: Protect yourself from various forms of legal liability including sexual harassment or discrimination claims. While not every business is faced with this, it is worth it to protect yourself in case it ever happens.
- Workers Compensation: If you have employees that are being paid a salary or an hourly wage than you are going to have to have workers compensation insurance. Workers comp provides you with protection for employee health benefits and salaries if they are injured on the job.
- Commercial Auto: You are probably going to have commercial automobile insurance if you have any vehicles that are being used for company purposes. Most radio television stations have vehicles with station markings that are used specifically for commercial purposes.
- Cyber Liability: Cyber liability is a type of insurance coverage that protects you in case of a data breach. As a radio or television station, you can be responsible for a certain amount of sensitive data. If this data gets out, due to a fault of your own or not, then you might be held liable for that data breach. This type of insurance protects you against it.
- Risk Engineering: Another type of insurance that is sometimes offered to radio stations is risk engineering insurance. Risk engineering insurance helps businesses run better and protects you against some other things more specific to media companies.
Broadcasters Liability Insurance - The Bottom Line
We hope this article on broadcasters liability insurance has been informative. Understanding how this works is the job of the general manager of a radio or television station. Having the right insurance definitely helps and general liability is the main insurance to protect you against these things. There are a few other types of insurance that protect you as well in other areas. Media liability insurance, media perils insurance, media liability insurance cost, media e&o insurance and who needs media liability insurance?