Animal shelters and pet rescues play a critical role in caring for and protecting animals in need. However, running such an operation comes with significant risks and potential liabilities. From animal bites to property damage, accidents can happen, and it is essential for animal shelters and pet rescues to have adequate insurance coverage in place.
Animal shelter and pet rescue insurance is a specialized form of coverage designed to address the unique risks associated with operating an animal shelter or pet rescue.
Who Needs Animal Shelter And Pet Rescue Insurance?
Organizations who may need animal shelter and pet rescue insurance include:
- Animal shelters: These organizations provide temporary housing and care for animals in need, such as strays or animals surrendered by their owners.
- Pet rescues: Pet rescue organizations take in animals that may have been abandoned, neglected, or abused, and work to find them loving homes.
- Foster-based rescue organizations: These organizations operate without a physical shelter and rely on foster homes to care for animals until they are adopted.
- Animal welfare organizations: These organizations promote animal welfare and advocate for animal rights, and may offer various programs and services to support their mission.
Types of Insurance Needed by Animal Shelter And Pet Rescue
Animal shelters and pet rescues require several types of insurance coverage to protect against a range of risks and liabilities. The following are some of them:
- General liability insurance: This type of insurance covers bodily injury and property damage claims arising from your organization’s activities, such as a visitor getting injured on your property.
- Professional liability insurance: This coverage is also known as errors and omissions insurance and covers claims arising from errors or omissions in your organization’s professional services.
- Property insurance: This coverage protects against damage to your organization’s property, such as buildings, equipment, and supplies, caused by perils such as fire, vandalism, and natural disasters.
- Workers’ compensation insurance: This type of insurance is required by law in most states and covers medical expenses and lost wages for employees who are injured or become ill due to work-related causes.
- Commercial auto insurance: If your organization has vehicles used for business purposes, such as transporting animals or equipment, commercial auto insurance is necessary to protect against potential accidents or damage.
- Animal liability insurance: This coverage is specifically designed for animal-related risks, such as bites or injuries caused by animals in your care.
- Directors and officers liability insurance: This coverage protects the organization’s board of directors and officers from claims arising from their actions or decisions made while acting on behalf of the organization.
How Much Does Animal Shelter And Pet Rescue Insurance Cost?
The cost of animal shelter and pet rescue insurance can vary depending on various factors such as the size of the organization, location, the type of services offered, the number of employees, and the specific coverage needs.
As a rough estimate, animal shelter and pet rescue insurance can cost anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars per year. However, the actual cost of insurance can be determined by obtaining a customized quote from insurance providers, as coverage needs can differ greatly based on the specific circumstances of each organization.
Animal Shelter And Pet Rescue Risks & Exposures
Some common risks and exposures that these organizations may encounter include:
- Animal bites or injuries: Animals in the care of shelters and rescues may bite or injure staff, volunteers, or visitors.
- Property damage: Natural disasters, such as floods or fires, can cause significant damage to the organization’s property, equipment, and supplies.
- Legal liabilities: Animal shelters and pet rescues may face legal action if they fail to properly care for the animals in their care or if an animal causes damage or injury to someone.
- Theft or vandalism: Shelters and rescues may be at risk of theft or vandalism of their property, equipment, or animals.
- Employee injuries: Employees may be at risk of injury while performing duties related to animal care, such as lifting or restraining animals.
- Cyber risks: Animal shelter and pet rescue organizations collect and store personal and sensitive information, making them potential targets for cyber-attacks and data breaches.
Commercial Insurance And Business Industry Classification
- SIC CODE: 0752 Animal Specialty Services, Except Veterinary
- NAICS CODE: 812910 Pet Care (except Veterinary) Services
- Suggested Workers Compensation Code(s): 8831 Hospital – Veterinary & Drivers
Animal Shelter And Pet Rescue Insurance – The Bottom Line
Animal shelter and pet rescue insurance is vital for organizations providing care to animals in need. These organizations face several risks and exposures that require appropriate coverage against potential financial losses. Insurance policies cover liabilities such as property damage, animal injuries, professional liability, and cyber-attacks.
It’s essential to work with an insurance provider that understands the unique needs of animal shelters and pet rescues to obtain customized coverage. Having appropriate insurance coverage ensures organizations can focus on animal care without worrying about potential financial losses.