Learn about Transportation and Warehousing – NAICS Code 48-49 – For Commercial Insurance. Insurance companies use NAICS codes to classify your industry and calculate your premiums. See all the six digit codes that fall under this primary NAICS class code for business insurance underwriting and cost purposes.
Transportation and Warehousing – NAICS Code 48-49
What’s the best way to describe your company’s business operations? Are you involved in the Transportation and Warehousing industry?
If so, then your business classification falls under Transportation and Warehousing – NAICS Code 48-49 – For Commercial Insurance. Insurance companies use NAICS codes to identify customers by industry code.
The NAICS sector code is a six digit number: the first two digits designate the largest business sector, the third digit designates the subsector, the fourth digit designates the industry group, and the fifth digit designates particular industries. The last digit designates national industries.
Sector 48-49 Transportation and Warehousing – NAICS Manual
The Transportation and Warehousing sector includes industries providing transportation of passengers and cargo, warehousing and storage for goods, scenic and sightseeing transportation, and support activities related to modes of transportation. Establishments in these industries use transportation equipment or transportation related facilities as a productive asset. The type of equipment depends on the mode of transportation. The modes of transportation are air, rail, water, road, and pipeline.
The Transportation and Warehousing sector distinguishes three basic types of activities: subsectors for each mode of transportation, a subsector for warehousing and storage, and a subsector for establishments providing support activities for transportation. In addition, there are subsectors for establishments that provide passenger transportation for scenic and sightseeing purposes, postal services, and courier services.
A separate subsector for support activities is established in the sector because, first, support activities for transportation are inherently multimodal, such as freight transportation arrangement, or have multimodal aspects. Secondly, there are production process similarities among the support activity industries.
One of the support activities identified in the Support Activities for Transportation subsector is the routine repair and maintenance of transportation equipment (e.g., aircraft at an airport, railroad rolling stock at a railroad terminal, or ships at a harbor or port facility). Such establishments do not perform complete overhauling or rebuilding of transportation equipment (i.e., periodic restoration of transportation equipment to original design specifications) or transportation equipment conversion (i.e., major modification to systems). An establishment that primarily performs factory (or shipyard) overhauls, rebuilding, or conversions of aircraft, railroad rolling stock, or ships is classified in Subsector 336, Transportation Equipment Manufacturing, according to the type of equipment.
Many of the establishments in this sector often operate on networks, with physical facilities, labor forces, and equipment spread over an extensive geographic area. Warehousing establishments in this sector are distinguished from merchant wholesaling in that the warehouse establishments do not sell the goods.
Excluded from this sector are establishments primarily engaged in providing travel agent services that support transportation and other establishments, such as hotels, businesses, and government agencies. These establishments are classified in Sector 56, Administrative and Support and Waste Management and Remediation Services. Also, establishments primarily engaged in providing rental and leasing of transportation equipment without operator are classified in Subsector 532, Rental and Leasing Services.
How NAICS Classifications Effects Your Commercial Insurance Cost
But how does your Transportation and Warehousing – NAICS Code 48-49 – For Commercial Insurance classification affect your premiums and insurance cost? Insurance companies selling commercial insurance use NAICS codes in many ways – to analyze and classify the businesses they insure, or choose not insure. Some small business NAICS code classifications can result in you paying higher premiums for your business insurance. It is important that your business is classified properly.
Industry codes help insurers with several analytical processes involving marketing, underwriting, exclusions, loss control, forms, pricing and other operations. Let’s look at some of the the NAICS codes under your classification.
Following is a list of all the codes and titles. If the title is linked you can drill down for more information:
- 481111 Scheduled Passenger Air Transportation
- 481112 Scheduled Freight Air Transportation
- 481211 Nonscheduled Chartered Passenger Air Transportation
- 481212 Nonscheduled Chartered Freight Air Transportation
- 481219 Other Nonscheduled Air Transportation
- 482111 Line-Haul Railroads
- 482112 Short Line Railroads
- 483111 Deep Sea Freight Transportation
- 483112 Deep Sea Passenger Transportation
- 483113 Coastal and Great Lakes Freight Transportation
- 483114 Coastal and Great Lakes Passenger Transportation
- 483211 Inland Water Freight Transportation
- 483212 Inland Water Passenger Transportation
- 484110 General Freight Trucking, Local
- 484121 General Freight Trucking, Long-Distance, Truckload
- 484122 General Freight Trucking, Long-Distance, Less Than Truckload
- 484210 Used Household and Office Goods Moving
- 484220 Specialized Freight (except Used Goods) Trucking, Local
- 484230 Specialized Freight (except Used Goods) Trucking, Long-Distance
- 485111 Mixed Mode Transit Systems
- 485112 Commuter Rail Systems
- 485113 Bus and Other Motor Vehicle Transit Systems
- 485119 Other Urban Transit Systems
- 485210 Interurban and Rural Bus Transportation
- 485310 Taxi Service
- 485320 Limousine Service
- 485410 School and Employee Bus Transportation
- 485510 Charter Bus Industry
- 485991 Special Needs Transportation
- 485999 All Other Transit and Ground Passenger Transportation
- 486110 Pipeline Transportation of Crude Oil
- 486210 Pipeline Transportation of Natural Gas
- 486910 Pipeline Transportation of Refined Petroleum Products
- 486990 All Other Pipeline Transportation
- 487110 Scenic and Sightseeing Transportation, Land
- 487210 Scenic and Sightseeing Transportation, Water
- 487990 Scenic and Sightseeing Transportation, Other
- 488111 Air Traffic Control
- 488119 Other Airport Operations
- 488190 Other Support Activities for Air Transportation
- 488210 Support Activities for Rail Transportation
- 488310 Port and Harbor Operations
- 488320 Marine Cargo Handling
- 488330 Navigational Services to Shipping
- 488390 Other Support Activities for Water Transportation
- 488410 Motor Vehicle Towing
- 488490 Other Support Activities for Road Transportation
- 488510 Freight Transportation Arrangement
- 488991 Packing and Crating
- 488999 All Other Support Activities for Transportation
- 491110 Postal Service
- 492110 Couriers and Express Delivery Services
- 492210 Local Messengers and Local Delivery
- 493110 General Warehousing and Storage
- 493120 Refrigerated Warehousing and Storage
- 493130 Farm Product Warehousing and Storage
- 493190 Other Warehousing and Storage
Transportation and Warehousing – NAICS Code 48-49 – For Commercial Insurance
We hope this information on Transportation and Warehousing – NAICS Code 48-49 – For Commercial Insurance has been helpful. Your classification determines how much you pay for your commercial insurance and much more.