Child care insurance is a specific type of business insurance that is designed to meet the unique needs of in-home and commercial daycare providers.
IMPORTANT: If you operate an in-home child care business, please note that virtually all homeowners insurance policies specifically exclude coverage for any type of daycare business operation. This means you must buy insurance protection for your child care business under a separate commercial insurance policy.
We are able to help both licensed and unlicensed in-home and commercial center providers.
Who Needs Childcare & Daycare Insurance?
Whether you operate an in-home daycare business, or have an established commercial child care center – you will want to consider daycare insurance. In many cases, this coverage is required – either by the state regulatory authority or a landlord.
Get a daycare & childcare insurance quote. Childcare centers and nursery schools are almost always required to carry daycare liability insurance in order to be licensed by the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), and most states require this licensure in order for the businesses to legally operate. While the DHHS has very strict guidelines that your child care business must follow, your insurance company may have even more strict requirements to help reduce risk – that will have an affect your daycare insurance premium. These requirements are put in place to limit your exposure to liability lawsuits and reduce the chance your insurer will have to pay claim. Common requirements may include:
- All exit signs in working order.
- All electric outlets covered.
- Facility has more than one means of egress (exit).
- No home-made play equipment.
- All cubbies and bookcases over 24 inches are affixed to a wall or floor
- Children are not left exclusively with caregivers under the age of 18 or with volunteers that have not had a background check.
- Children are not left unsupervised at any time (including nap time).
- Equip/furnish all doors where children have access with door finger guards/pinch shields to reduce risk of injury to children. The door finger guards/pinch shields should be permanently installed on the hinge side of the door and kept in place at all times.
- No medications are dispensed without the parent’s/guardian’s and physician’s (when required) written consent and instruction, and a log is kept of medicine administration.
Childcare & Daycare Insurance Quote – The Bottom Line
When you start your childcare business, be sure you familiarize yourself with the requirements in your state and municipality. After you’ve determined what the structure of your business is (sole proprietor, LLC, corporation, partnership etc.) and how many children and of what age you want your capacity to ben, it’s time to consider daycare insurance coverage.
When you apply for permits and register your childcare business with your state government (if you are so requires) you will need to find the best fit coverage that meets your needs. Simply fill out the in-home or commercial daycare & childcare insurance quote on this page to find out what your premium cost will be.