Commercial Insurance Business Owners Policy (BOP) Commercial Auto Commercial Flood Commercial Property Commercial Umbrella Data Breach Directors & Officers (D&O) Employment Practices Liability Environmental - Pollution Liability General Liability Product Liability Professional Liability (E&O) Workers Comp Personal Insurance


Have you been asked for an ACORD 24 Certificate of Property Insurance? A Certificate of Insurance form is a document that provides information about insurance policies to third parties – but is not an insurance policy.

ACORD 24 Certificate of Property Insurance

Owning a piece of property is exciting, but there is more to it than just buying a piece of land. You definitely need to get insurance for your property, and a lot of people might be interested in seeing proof of that insurance. When that happens, the form ACORD 24 Certificate of Property Insurance is needed.

ACORD 24 gets mixed up with ACORD 27 and ACORD 28. If the person who needs to see proof of insurance just wants to verify coverage, ACORD 24 should be used because they have no interest in the policy itself.

However, if the person requesting proof does have an interest in the policy being held, ACORD 27 should be used instead. If they need specific detailed coverage about the property that is insured under a Commercial Lines policy, ACORD 28 needs to be used.

However, many people should be fine with seeing Certificate of Property Insurance at first.

Who Needs It

Most property situations should be able to be handled using the ACORD 24 Certificate of Property Insurance. Those who are involved in condominium association agreements, lessor/lessee agreements, or other certification can use this form as well. Anyone with property that is insured should have access to a Certificate of Property Insurance to show those who are requesting to see it. However, many individuals may also request for an updated one sent to them directly from the insurance company.

Required Form

The form goes over a broad spectrum of what is covered on the insurance policy. The policyholder’s information should be listed first with their address and contact information. Then, the insurance companies should be listed. There could be multiple insurance companies that are covering the same property, so every name and contact person for the company should be listed. The location and description of the property is required, so list the address and what the property is.

For example, it would say, 123 Main Street – Apartment building. Then, a bit of the coverage is gone over. Broad, special, or basic coverage is checked to confirm the property insurance. There are also spots for earthquake, wind, flood, and any other optional coverage. These are all just checked or left blank, so the actual coverage amounts are not gone over.

When to Use

This form should be used whenever someone needs to see proof of property insurance, but does not need to see any details concerning it. They can either look over your copy or have the insurance company send over a copy to themselves. However, there are far more times when you should not use this form. For example, the ACORD 24 Certificate of Property Insurance cannot be used to satisfy a mortgagee or a lienholder because it doesn’t have enough information. It also should not be used to provide information to anyone who received motor vehicle damage on the property.

More On Certs

You can find more certificates on the ACORD forms list, and to learn more you can check out understanding ACORD certificate of insurance.

ACORD 24 Certificate of Property Insurance – The Bottom Line

We hope this article on ACORD 24 Certificate of Property Insurance has been informative. Because this is not a binding contract, the form should not be used to quote insurance benefits or be used as an endorsement for insurance. While most states don’t require filing of this form, Kentucky, Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Wisconsin do require the filing of it.

Scroll to Top