Learn about educators legal liability insurance (ELL). ELL protects school boards against claims of failure to grant tenure, negligent counseling, wrongful termination and wrongful dismissal.
Educators Legal Liability Insurance
Colleges, universities, boards of education and all other institutions of education are big organizations that are held responsible for the care of a large number of students. These institutions also employ a large staff. Since there are so any individuals involved in the process of education, institutions of learning face a variety of risks on a constant basis that other types of organizations aren't faced with as frequently.
These institutions can be held liable for various legal claims that general liability insurance won't cover. As such, educational institutions need a specific type of insurance policy that is customized to meet their unique needs. Educators legal liability insurance (ELL) provides institutions of learning with coverage against a wide range of possible legal claims.
What Is Educators Legal Liability Insurance?
Educators legal liability insurance is a specialty form of insurance coverage that protects educational institutions against the damages that they could incur as a result of real or alleged wrongful acts. The types of claims that this form of insurance covers is broad and includes:
- Denial of tenure
- Acts of discrimination
- Practices related to employment
- Acts of retaliation
- Professional errors and omissions made by educators
- Failure to educate as promised
- Libel and slander
- Wrongful termination
- Breach of contract
Who Does Educators Legal Liability Insurance Protect?
Those who are covered under educators legal liability insurance will differ from provider to provider. Therefore, it is important to check your policy to ensure who is covered. The following are individuals who you would want your ELL policy to protect:
- Members of boards, committees, councils, and commissions.
- All educators, including teachers, teacher assistants, substitute teachers, and even student teachers.
- Volunteers who are working on behalf of the institution.
- Any officials, directors, trustees and superintendents that have been elected or appointed to work on behalf of the institution.
- Students who are complying with the codes of conduct that have been set forth by the organization.
What Type Of Benefits Does ELL Insurance Offer?
Again, benefits offered by educators legal liability insurance will differ from provider to provider. However, most policies will provide the following benefits:
- The day-to-day operations of the educational institution.
- Punitive and exemplary damages.
- Front and back pay.
- Claims that are associated with Individual Education Plans (IEPs) for special needs students.
- Claims related to breach of fiduciary duty.
- Claims related to breach of contract.
Since the benefits offered by this type of insurance do vary from one provider to another, it is important to make sure that the policy you choose provides the specific coverage necessary to insure your institution. Should you need additional coverage, you do have the option to purchase more benefits.
Are there Any Exclusions?
All insurance policies have some exclusions and an educators legal liability insurance policy is no different. The types of losses that this policy will not cover will typically include:
- Any acts that are deliberate.
- Acts that were committed fraudulently.
- Acts that are a violation of certain types of Federal Acts.
Of course, check with your insurance provider to find out exactly what your policy won't cover to ensure have a full understanding of how you are protected.
How Much does Educators Legal Liability Insurance Cost?
The costs associated with an ELL policy will vary from insurance provider to insurance provider. They will also vary depending on the specifics of your institution and whether or not you need additional benefits that are not offered under a basic ELL policy.
Generally, the premiums that an insurance company will charge for a policy are based on the amount of students (both full and part-time) that attend the school, in addition to the number of people who are on staff.
Educators Legal Liability Insurance - The Bottom Line
We hope this article on educators legal liability insurance was informative. Legal claims made against institutions of learning seem to be increasing. Therefore, it is important for any organization that provides students with an education to be protected against such claims in order to minimize its losses. If you operate a school of any type - public or private - speak to a reputable insurance agency to learn more about a policy.