NY archdiocese sues more than 30 insurers over future abuse claims

NY archdiocese sues more than 30 insurers over future abuse claims

The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York is allegedly suing over 30 insurance companies to compel them to cover claims filed by people who say they have been abused by clerics.

According to The Associated Press, the archdiocese filed the lawsuit on Friday in the Manhattan state court, in which it says many of its insurers “intend to dispute, limit, or deny coverage” for abuse.

The lawsuit has been described by The New York Law Journal as “a proactive move” ahead of New York’s new Child Victims Act, which was signed into law by Democratic Governor Andrew Cuomo in February and is set to take effect in August.

Under the new law, victims have a year to file claims alleging sex abuse that were previously barred by the statute of limitations. According to a WHIO report, the archdiocese says people have already begun to file actions against the archdiocese.

Multiple sources, including the WHIO and Catholic news site ChurchMilitant.com, have identified Chubb subsidiary, the Insurance Co. of North America, as being named in the lawsuit.

The archdiocese is reportedly accusing Chubb of refusing to defend the church against a lawsuit filed by a man claiming he was abused by two clergymen in the 1970s. The lawsuit in question will become active in August. A spokesman for Chubb says the company does not comment on claims or legal matters.